Monday, May 28, 2012

Songwriting

I'm on summer vacation for the next four or so months, so I got a lot of time to take part in my favorite activity; songwriting. I been kind of hesitant towards songwriting for the past couple of months because I frankly don't know how to write a song. Yesterday when I started writing, I just told myself to "wing it" until something sounds great. I've written a lot of poetry, but I just stopped a while ago because I wanted to. Now that I told myself to write, I just can't stop.

I really didn't stop either. Although I really haven't written a full arrangement in a while, but I have bits of lyrics that I have scattered around in notebooks, note cards, journals and phones. I have "seeds" around everywhere that could grow into a full song if I just put the time in that I needed to. Now that I have time, I can start developing those ideas into the extraordinary songs that they are.

My friends are always asking me about my songwriting process, and what inspires me to write. I usually give the same answer: "Oh, you know, if something happens in my life, I write about it, and just see what happens". Although that is true, I try to examine the underling issues of my songs. For example, I could have the worst day in my life and decide to write a song not about being angry, but instead about how people treat other people. That could be the same thing, but I think that the motivations behind both songs is quite different. I really don't say that when someone asks me about how I write songs.

Whenever my friends ask me about my songwriting progress, most of them say "Just go for it! We are waiting for your album!". I honestly can't wait to finish whatever DIY mess I make but I'll make sure to include amazing songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment