Monday, August 9, 2010

American Apparel Rant and Review pt. 2

*Hey, before you start to read this, please read part one! It has all of the great information and inside jokes that you need to read to get this follow up article.*

I was thinking about doing a follow up to my most read blog post American Apparel Rant and Review. I just went back today and got some more stuff (to get into detail, I got another hat, another v neck, 2 50/50 shirts, and a hoodie). To be honest, I need to go back so I can buy a pair of pants. You blog readers just ate up my last post on American Apparel, so I wanted to do a part two which is less of a rant and is more of a review of the store. One of my readers wanted me to talk more about dressing rooms, store design, benefits, and some extra stuff.  I'm doing this review based off the store in Denver (no, I'm not dissing this store, I think its awesome! So if I say anything bad I'm not directing it at the store :) Lets start off where I was kind of lacking last time... Pants.

Pants:
They had so many! Most of them high waist, but I did find a pair of unisex (yeah I know...) "slim slacks" that where kind of awesome. I go for a size 26 in pants if I want them to stay on my waist without a belt. I tried them on and my Mom thought that they were "too slim in the waist". I had to disagree. If I wanted to do what I normally do with my pants (low off the waist, ends right at the ankles) I had to go to the 30 inch waist, even then I was like "these are too big!". I didn't buy them today because... Well I don't know why!  Anyway, lots and lots of pants here. I'll give you the link to the website so you can see for yourself.

Dressing rooms:
I was trying on pants, and I can tell you that it is hard to try on pants when you can touch both walls with your elbows (FYI, I'm 5'3 and very skinny...). I guess you can say that it is really plain. They do have a mirror and a sitting stool, just in case you need to look at yourself or sit. I never go into dressing rooms, so I can't really say what  a "good dressing room" is so I hope I did a good job describing a typical dressing room.


Store Design:
I haven't been to every American Apparel in every single place, but I do know that each one is unique. The company doesn't build stores and they try to stay away from "malls" and those other outdoor shopping places. The one in Denver is kind of small, but it does what it needs to. This is a plus because you can't get lost! How awesome is that? Lighting is good, somewhat on the dim side, but natural light makes up for it. Air conditioning is good, I could really feel it on that 103 day. The floor is concrete on one side, hardwood on another (at least I think so, I'm pretty sure it is). The sweaters and zip up hoodies are off to the left side of the door, men's clothing to the right. If you walk down to the table with the bow ties, you can find unisex dress shirts and other dressy stuff. Go off to the right and you will find skirts and dresses, keep going and you will find women's shirts. The rest of the women's clothing goes in a downward "C" shape. Once out of that "C" shape you will find the dressing rooms on the right. If you go further I'm pretty sure you will find necklaces and headbands. Go to the left and you are at the cash resister.  Like I said, its pretty small but that is a plus.

Inventory:
Each store stocks what it wants too.  (A tip for you: You can find some "store only stuff" at the store!) I have a hunch that you can find more sweaters at a Colorado store than at a California store. I have no clue if American Apparel has seasonal stuff (ie, fall collection, summer collection etc) so I can't really say if they get new clothes in. I'm sure that they do, but I can't say for myself.  I like what they have. They have clothes for you, your kid, your boyfriend, your girlfriend and even your dog. (Sorry Mom's Dad's and Grandparents! I don't know if you want to identify with these clothes, but if you want to, then show those young people!)


Staff:
The staff was nice! I think they remember who I was although I looked pretty different the last time I came in (green eye makeup, wigged out hair, blood red lipstick, band shirt, dirty Converse, and tight skinny's. I had a gig ok?) I think they all were reflections of the company, they all looked like models strait out of the catalog. Hey, they might get a discount for working there. Anyway, they weren't stuck up hipsters like we all hate. Heck, maybe they weren't hipsters. I have no idea anymore.

Store music:
Yes, I know art. Yes, I know my music too. But when you combine it, and add in some hip cool trendy synth and you got American Apparel radio! I was in the dressing room when this song came on, which was kind of strange because most people that shop here are in... (wait for it... wait for it...) Art school! Good song anyway. You can listen to AA radio here. For my over 30 readers, is American Apparel creating the latest wave of Mod revival? Are hipsters not hipsters but neo mods? Ok, thats all.

Benefits:
You can leave happy knowing that all of your clothes were made with cotton from the United States. You can also leave knowing that your clothes are quality made. Remember that you are paying for quality, and you "get what you pay for". Keep that in mind when you are buying clothes here. Never mind the "hipsters". Buying clothes at AA doesn't make you a hipster. Feel free to tell one of those customers that if you have to.

Drawbacks:
Ok, if the price isn't a drawback for you finding this store will be. (I'm speaking to my fellow Denvorites here) Can you find a parking space downtown?  If you ride the light rail, would you be willing to walk? You will most likely fight off some tourists when you are here on your visit. I did. Be friendly and show them where the baseball field is. You will also will have to deal with trying on some things at the store. Remember that the sizing charts are not standardized. In other words, if you buy a shirt online, then it probably won't be the same size as the store shirts. If it is your first visit, get use to all of the stripes (just kidding).

What I think:
Like I said before, I only support companies that I think are doing a good job, and for the most part AA is doing a good job. They have their lawsuits and all of that, but what really matters is the top notch clothing. Yeah, you might drop a pretty penny on some of the stuff, but in the end, its better than going to the GAP. I'd rather be lame and trendy but at least I know that my clothes aren't made in a sweatshop.

Here is the American Apparel website, I highly encourage you to look online first, and then go to the store and try on the clothing. You can do the whole "measurement chart" thing, but It wont be consistent.

If you haven't already, check out part one of this article. If you felt lost while reading this, I can tell why...

No comments:

Post a Comment