Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Typical summer conversation with friends.

Summer is bad enough for me this year, I think I have a little too much on my plate. I have a month left of college classes (I'm getting ahead), band practice all next week, and volunteer work. I guess I got the brilliant idea to contact all of my friends and ask "Hey, want to do something next week?". It doesn't sound bad when you think about it, there is nothing wrong with hanging out with friends and talking, or doing whatever you  do with friends, but the conversation always ends up like this:

Me:Want to go to the park or something this week?
Friend:Oh sure! What day?
Me:I was thinking Wednesday because I get off early.
Friend:Oh, I can't do Wednesday. I have plans with some kid that you don't know.
Me:(Takes a deep breath and remembers "happy place") Ok,well, how about Saturday?
Friend:No, I'll be out of town for the weekend.
Me:Alright, fine. Are you going to be in town any time time next week?
Friend:I should be :)

So then I wait a week, or two, or three. Then I got kind of mad:

Me:So, are we going to go to that one place?
Friend:What one place?
Me:The park? The bowling alley? The skate park?
Friend:Well, I can't D:
Me:(Holding back extreme anger) Why can't you? I waited a week or three and you give me the same answer!
Friend:Sorry :( I'll be here all next week if you want to hang out.
Me: Oh, I have plans. (Or, I don't want to hang out because you don't want to hang out with me.)

I think my friends are avoiding me. I'm not lame or anything like that, I love having fun. I just like to have fun in odd ways. One time, I asked another one of my friends if they wanted to  go to the independent movie theatre in town. They said "yes", and I really couldn't wait. Then when the day came around they call me and say "I can't go today, I'm grounded." Then I look on Facebook an hour or so later,  and my news feed says "I loved the amusement park today! Movies tomorrow :)"  If I had my way, I'd go to that other movie theater and sit right behind them and pour buttered popcorn on their sorry head. Of course I wouldn't do that, but what's stopping me?

Either way, my vacation is half over. I know whats going to happen in about 2 months:
Friend:Want to go to the movies this weekend?
Me:No sorry, I told you I'm working.
Friend:Oh, we never hang out. We should see each other more.
Me:I tried this summer, you "never had the time", or you went to the movies with your "other" friend.
Friend:...That's right.
Me:By the way, you missed my birthday.
Friend:Happy (late) Birthday!
Me:Sorry, I don't do the "late" birthday thing. Guess you have to wait 'till next year :)

I'm not a needy friend, but I recommend this article for further reading.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment